Fall Colors Ride, Saturday, Oct 19

Western States

Re: Fall Colors Ride, Saturday, Oct 19

Postby jauntygreengiant » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:22 pm

robd0gg wrote:my 1050 doesn't have a skid plate either and it's 100lbs more then your bike.. :D but no worries, these are all roads a motorhome or a Goldwing could navigate (both being about the same size). With the exception of the two track going up to Maverick Saddle.. which is not all that difficult, and lots of fun with water bars to jump and some good hill climbs, but not sure we want to go that far either.. we can play it by ear, and see how we feel once we hit Lake Wenatchee.. there are other options from there, like taking the road up to Dirty Face peak, which is a fun road with some great views of the lake, and that road can also take us to Mavericks Saddle area as well if we wanted to continue that way.. maybe do loop.

Weather looks like it's going to be awesome, sunny, maybe mid sixties over on the East side; will be cool though.. so long johns, or heated gear might not be a bad idea, at least for the pass going over and back..

Since you'r both on the East side, and since we're going over Hwy 2, maybe we can maybe meet up at the Starbucks in Duvall? the one at the corner of hwy 203 and Big Rock Rd, around 8:30 AM?

Would this then be an out and back on US 2 (which is fine with me), or going over US 2 and coming back I-90? Keep in mind this is the closing weekend of Oktoberfest in Leavenworth, so it might be a tad busy in town.
jauntygreengiant
Global Mod
Global Mod

Postby robd0gg » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:27 pm

jauntygreengiant wrote:
robd0gg wrote:my 1050 doesn't have a skid plate either and it's 100lbs more then your bike.. :D but no worries, these are all roads a motorhome or a Goldwing could navigate (both being about the same size). With the exception of the two track going up to Maverick Saddle.. which is not all that difficult, and lots of fun with water bars to jump and some good hill climbs, but not sure we want to go that far either.. we can play it by ear, and see how we feel once we hit Lake Wenatchee.. there are other options from there, like taking the road up to Dirty Face peak, which is a fun road with some great views of the lake, and that road can also take us to Mavericks Saddle area as well if we wanted to continue that way.. maybe do loop.

Weather looks like it's going to be awesome, sunny, maybe mid sixties over on the East side; will be cool though.. so long johns, or heated gear might not be a bad idea, at least for the pass going over and back..

Since you'r both on the East side, and since we're going over Hwy 2, maybe we can maybe meet up at the Starbucks in Duvall? the one at the corner of hwy 203 and Big Rock Rd, around 8:30 AM?

Would this then be an out and back on US 2 (which is fine with me), or going over US 2 and coming back I-90? Keep in mind this is the closing weekend of Oktoberfest in Leavenworth, so it might be a tad busy in town.

we can do whatever you guys want.. I'm good until sunset :^)

my feeling is we would go over hwy 2, play around in the Lake Wenatchee/Plain/Chumstick area, and return via 2.. I don't plan to go anywhere near Leavenworth.. if we come back over Blewett, my preference would be to take the Chumstick Highway, and bypass Levenworth all together.. but again, hwy 2 is more my preference.. totally sick of I90.. last time I rode back via 90 (from Kamiah), it took two hours to go 30 miles from Easton to just over the summit.
ride hard, live righteously
robd0gg
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby jauntygreengiant » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:29 pm

robd0gg wrote:
jauntygreengiant wrote:

we can do whatever you guys want.. I'm good until sunset :^)

my feeling is we would go over hwy 2, play around in the Lake Wenatchee/Plain/Chumstick area, and return via 2.. I don't plan to go anywhere near Leavenworth.. if we come back over Blewett, my preference would be to take the Chumstick Highway, and bypass Levenworth all together.. but again, hwy 2 is more my preference.. totally sick of I90.. last time I rode back via 90 (from Kamiah), it took two hours to go 30 miles from Easton to just over the summit.

Agreed

Sent from a mobile user [url='http://tapatalk.com/m?id=10']now Free[/url]
jauntygreengiant
Global Mod
Global Mod

Postby pnwroamer » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:07 pm

...yeah, we don't have to go up Mav. Saddle (no major waterbars and no two tracks) just a semi rocky climbing jeep type route which you can ride up either side or the middle or weave back and forth.
There's an easy approach to the hill and one can option out from there but the ridge on top has awesome views and an easy return route down to Plain or Leavenworth.

I've done this route three times in the last two yrs. and I don't imagine hunters would be an issue. The only 'semi' technical aspect is the Mav. Saddle grade but taken slowly in first gear.. no sweat! ;)

And we may choose not to go that far anyways..... :)
82 Suz. GS 1100G (all there but needing restoration)
03 Yam. FJR 1300 (IBA certified)
05 KTM 400 EXC (for the real off road endeavors)
09 Kaw. KLR 650 (when I can't decide between the others)

...wherever I go, there I am!
pnwroamer
125cc
125cc

Postby pnwroamer » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:26 pm

if this link doesn't work, maybe Rob can fix it.

Run up to Maverick Saddle (very recently!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGzLeGPm0cg

...uh, not my video or music but looks exactly as it was two weekends ago when I ran it on the pumpkin bike. I'll do the KLR this time in order to dial it down quite a bit :lol:
and yes, a return over Hwy. 2 is the preferred route :)

pnwroamer
125cc
125cc

Postby robd0gg » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:15 pm

Yep.. I love that road.. you can really get cooking on it.. I belong to a group of riders that have been hosting an annual three day camp and ride in the area for the past eleven years or so.this year we had a freak hail storm and flash flooding then I got a flat on the big ktm in the middle of it.. that was exciting.. hehe

You all are invited of course..

There's also the dirty face dual sport in the same area which has been going for about twenty five years... it's fun but a bit too crowded for my tastes any more.. I used to ride several dual sport events every year.. great way to meet folks and to get to know an area but mostly prefer smaller groups nowadays
robd0gg
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby therealsherlock » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:39 am

Maybe I will forget the hunting and come along in my motor home or better yet - my Goldwing.
therealsherlock
Novice
Novice

Postby robd0gg » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:18 am

therealsherlock wrote:Maybe I will forget the hunting and come along in my motor home or better yet - my Goldwing.

you can be our support crew :D
robd0gg
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pnwroamer » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:35 pm

therealsherlock wrote:Maybe I will forget the hunting and come along in my motor home or better yet - my Goldwing.

uhhh, you wouldn't want to experience a low speed 'tip over' in/on either one of those :lol:

pnwroamer
125cc
125cc

Postby pnwroamer » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:43 pm

...so I'll check this thread late morning on friday and if Rob and I are the only ones in, I'll withdraw as there are other things sort of demanding my attention (as much as I enjoy the Entiat area... some of the best riding in Wa. state!).

pnwroamer
125cc
125cc

PreviousNext

Return to Region I