Dam (or other POI) Tour

Western States

Dam (or other POI) Tour

Postby jauntygreengiant » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:06 am

Just throwing this out there and see what bites. I was a big fan of the Dam Tour, which unfortunately has been resting in peace since the end of 2012. I sort of did Sound Rider's Cafe to Cafe tour, but it is just not quite the same.

So, I come to think how great it would be to do a free one on the side with some other riders. I can always pick a destination and go, but you then miss the joint rides, discussions, tips, etc. If we come up with one, we can decide whether or not to do a point based system, pick destinations (not necessary exclusive to dams, I just think they are cool), and see where the road takes us. :mrgreen:

I don't want to interfere with Steeple Chase, this is just an alternative that would be easier to bring our secular acquaintances on.

Thoughts? I'd be glad to head this up, but would need people to be somewhat active with input, rides, and so forth. Typically the season begins March 1st and goes till Sept 30th, ending in a banquet somewhere.

We could do dams and bridges....anything that can get a picture of the bike in front of it.
jauntygreengiant
Global Mod
Global Mod

Re: Dam (or other POI) Tour

Postby robd0gg » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:38 pm

cool idea.. and tell me if this is not really of interest to you, but what would you think if we tie this in to our new forming Fast Lane chapter.. we can post it on our calendar, and use it to help promote awareness about the new chapter? Maybe we have some that are accessible via paved, and some via unpaved roads? have two sets of locations?

Let me know what you think.
ride hard, live righteously
robd0gg
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby jauntygreengiant » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:11 am

That is definitely along the same lines I am thinking.

Sent from a mobile user
jauntygreengiant
Global Mod
Global Mod

Postby robd0gg » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:25 am

great.. I say go for it.. we'll use it as one of our premiere events for next year.. I've not done this type of event before, but I get the general idea.. I say it would be important to emphasize the social and fellowship aspect, over the competitive aspect, but a little competition is always fun. Maybe we can do like the Destiny Riders do with the Steeple Chase, and plan a weekend where we try and get a bunch of them in. If you can come up with the locations, some basic rules and description, and maybe a flyer, we can begin to promote it soon.. we might not have a huge number of participants right off the bat, but maybe it will grow..

Question about locations though.. particularly if we offer some that require dirt roads to get, I think those will require pre-scouting to ensure the roads are passible.. Every fall we have storms that knock down trees, and wipe out sections of forest roads.. so maybe we should stick to locations that are accessible by paved roads initially.. and maybe offer unpaved locations in the spring after we have had a chance to pre-ride.. just a thought. But otherwise, I'm glad to have you run this ;)

and thanks Mike.. I think we're going to have a fun group.
ride hard, live righteously
robd0gg
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby jauntygreengiant » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:23 pm

Some of the more committed folks to making the Dam Tour ran had the locations scouted the year before, or at times a couple months before via car if the weather was still nasty. My idea was to (as much as possible) find locations that can be reached by more than one way (dirt, paved, slab, etc).
jauntygreengiant
Global Mod
Global Mod

Return to Region I