Weekend Overnighter in the Hoh

Western States

Weekend Overnighter in the Hoh

Postby jauntygreengiant » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:13 am

I was inspired by meetup invite earlier this week to do a overnighter on the Olympic. Weather permitting this will involve pitching a tent at the Hoh Campground. Why, might you ask? Well, I haven't yet been there, and wanted to trot a few miles up the trail, and the campground itself is pretty far from US-101.

I am still putting together the route, but it mostly involves heading south to Shelton and then taking a mixture of backroads to US-101, bypassing Hoqiam, then heading northward and stopping for lunch somewhere.

Time: TBD
Cost: er, $12 for the campsite (though I think we can pitch a couple tents per site) and $5 to enter the National Park, and something for lunch/dinner.
Dates: Saturday (9/14) and Sunday (9/15)
Road Types: Mostly paved, some streches of gravel (I know of one, uncertain on the others).

Anyone is welcome to join! (my wife would appreciate at least one rider ;))

For more information about the Hoh Rainforest, check out out this link.
jauntygreengiant
Global Mod
Global Mod

Re: Weekend Overnighter in the Hoh

Postby robd0gg » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:58 pm

There's a great dirt route that you can take from near Shelton, all the hwy 101.. all dirt and it includes lots of amazing scenery, a waterfall or two, a couple of lakes And a high steel bridge crossing the river 300 feet below etc.. It's my favorite road on the peninsula.. I have GPS track logs of lots of roads over there if your interested.. Or we can get together and sit down and look over some maps if you would like..
ride hard, live righteously
robd0gg
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby jauntygreengiant » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:55 am

I don't have a GPS but would like to look at the roads. I won't be doing all dirt/gravel, but some. I have been curious what Forest Road 22 going east from Wynochee is like.
jauntygreengiant
Global Mod
Global Mod

Postby robd0gg » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:04 am

That's one of the roads.. 22 and 23 will get you all the way to hwy 101 North of Shelton.. But I don't recommend riding unknown back roads without a good set of maps, GPS and a compass and knowledge on how to use them. The forests here are a spider web of roads, most of which dead end. The National Geographic maps are ok for backcountry travel.. Green Trails Topo maps even better

Anyway. Have a great trip
robd0gg
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby jauntygreengiant » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:24 am

I do have my phone, and fairly decent with maps, but might pick up something if I intend to do 23. So many roads in that neck of the woods. I have taken paved/and dirt roads from Shelton to FS22/Wynochee, and then taken that north to the dam, likely do the same and just follow 22 over to 101.

This is looking like it might be a solo ride. :|
jauntygreengiant
Global Mod
Global Mod

Postby robd0gg » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:24 pm

well, be safe.. also might want to invest in a Spot device.. it will give peace of mind to your wife when your off exploring.. I know my wife breathes easier when I can send her an OK message from pretty much any where on the planet.
robd0gg
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby udoggie » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:42 pm

+1 on the spot! It's definitely worth it to me, especially since I do a lot of solo riding.

Here's a sample map (that people that you allow can see in realtime)

The green flags were when I had it send a message to my wife. (#24 to say wish you were here!, and #37 to let her know I was on the way home.)

udoggie
Global Mod
Global Mod

Postby jauntygreengiant » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:27 pm

That's on a shopping list, among many other things :( . I am leaning more and more to just a day outing. Rain is in the forecast, which probably wouldn't stop me, but it is a single night and I don't want to show up dripping to the Pub to watch the Hawks game.
jauntygreengiant
Global Mod
Global Mod

Postby Sparkey » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:44 pm

I guess Iphones have some sort of tracking device. My wife can get on the computer and see where I'm at. Came in handy on a recent trip out of state.
Lean it in Let it slide

Text is good. nineoneeightfourzeroeightzerosixtwozero.
Sparkey
WSBK
WSBK

Postby udoggie » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:55 pm

Sparkey wrote:I guess Iphones have some sort of tracking device. My wife can get on the computer and see where I'm at. Came in handy on a recent trip out of state.

Sparkey, that only works if you have cell coverage. I ride quite a bit in areas with no coverage.

Jeff
udoggie
Global Mod
Global Mod

Next

Return to Region I