Yamaha FJR Heat Issue

Find a fix, or share one

Yamaha FJR Heat Issue

Postby CMAUSA » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:26 pm

I picked up a 2006 FJR recently. It's a fun bike but the heat coming up from under the tank is unbearable when the outside temp is in the 90° range. Turns out this is a common complaint for this bike. After researching the forums I found several 'kits' which claim to solve the problem. Most of them are nothing more than double sided aluminum foil insulation. Being cheap I decided to order the stuff and do it myself, rather than order a kit. Here we go; I'll update when I finish.
Attachments
FJR.jpg
It's easy to see why there's so much heat. The heads are only inches below the tank.
FJR.jpg (113.99 KiB) Viewed 797 times
CMA Fast Lane, the next generation. Assimilate, resistance is futile!
Changing the World, One Heart at a Time; Quickly!
CMAUSA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Yamaha FJR Heat Issue

Postby SteveSchiller » Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:20 am

Kerry,
Something is wrong with that picture. Either that is not a 2006 or you are missing the heat blanket.
One of the key features of the Gen II Fjr1300 was the heat shield/changes starting in 2006. I will look up and post the missing part number if that is indeed a 2006 and not a 2005. On my 2007 there is a big aluminum insulating blanket over the engine and adjustable "scoops" on both sides of the bike surrounding the engine.I can send pictures if needed.

Steve

From a 2006 release bike review. Note the shield and "side louvers"

As we rode inland, the FJR’s ambient air thermometer began to rise into the high 80s, a temperature that would on the old bike ignite a slow-roasting wave of heat to waft over a rider. Yamaha’s engineers obviously spent a bunch of time trying to solve this shortcoming, as we’re happy to report there’s no need for asbestos Fruit of the Looms with the 2006 edition.

A whole host of changes to the management of airflow through the bike have been made to better disperse hot air from the radiator and engine and away from the rider. A newly curved radiator now doubles the number of fans to two, helping push hot air slightly outward instead of being trapped in the fairing or emitting on the rider. A heat shield has been added on top of the engine, with a larger air channel below the fuel tank that aids in removing warm air. Cooling air also enters under the windscreen and via intakes on either side of the headlights and through a vent underneath the gauges. In addition, fairing louvers in the knee area can be angled outward for augmented airflow, although it was difficult to notice the difference.
SteveSchiller
650cc
650cc

Postby SteveSchiller » Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:54 am

You can check your VIN here - http://www.analogx.com/cgi-bin/cgivin.exe

Steve
SteveSchiller
650cc
650cc

Postby CMAUSA » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:32 am

My mistake. It's a 2005. My Tiger was an 06 so that stuck in my head. Good catch though!
CMAUSA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby SteveSchiller » Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:57 am

Ok - Gen 1 has heat issues - Here is a link to a less heat solution.

http://www.fjr-tips.org/mods/insul/insul.html

Hope that helps

Steve
SteveSchiller
650cc
650cc

Postby CMAUSA » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:30 am

I'm working through that process now. There was a pre-made insulation 'kit' available but looking at it I felt like it was more about insulating the tank than rider. So I ordered some 2000° reflective insulation which had a sticky side. I stuck heavy aluminum foil to the sticky side. That all worked out very well. Cut and shaped the insulation using high heat reflective aluminum tape.

Ended up spending about the same as ordering the kit but this is built to protect the rider, which by default insulate the tank. As noted in the referenced link, just insulating the tank itself helps the gas in the tank but doesn't do much for the rider's legs. My mod cured the heat by about seventy-five percent. It's not bad now but I'm going back in and do something similar to what he did with the foam using the reflective auto insulation. I think I can cut the total heat by 95%. I was concerned that this might impact the heat dissipation of the engine but there didn't appear to be any effect at all. Fortunately pulling the tank is a breeze.

Otherwise I enjoy riding the bike. It seems kind of tame though compared to the BMW.
Thanks for taking the time to help me. That's the best post I have seen on this issue.
CMAUSA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CMAUSA » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:43 am

Here's a shot of the insulation sheet being being fit. I'll post a picture of the final result when I finish.
Attachments
tank.jpg
[url=https://postimg.org/image/d975km7yt/][img]https://s10.postimg.org/rseam113t/tank.jpg[/img][/url]
tank.jpg (38.91 KiB) Viewed 779 times
CMAUSA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CMAUSA » Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:41 am

I've completed the under-tank insulation and I'm happy with the results, but there are kits and some of them look pretty good. Had I seen this one I may have given it a try as it appears to cover the complete area whereas the ones I looked at were designed more to insulate the tank than divert the air flow. What they don't show in this picture is you have to make a couple of cuts to access the two fuel connections and the two electrical connections. It does show the cut-out that allows the fuel line to drop down enough to prevent it from kinking. All of those cuts allow heated air to flow up and out under the tank. If I was using this kit I would still order some heat resistant tape and close those gaps.
Attachments
heatshield.jpg
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-YAMAHA-FJR1300-FJR-HOT-TANK-HEAT-FIX-INSULATION-KIT-/191926852466?fits=Model%3AFJR1300&hash=item2cafbb5b72%3Ag%3AaowAAOSw2s1UtJiM&vxp=mtr
heatshield.jpg (78.73 KiB) Viewed 747 times
CMAUSA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CMAUSA » Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:04 am

Ok, here's my final result. The supplies were ordered through Amazon. Thermo-Tec 13575 12" X 24" Adhesive backed Heat Barrier $21.99 and Heatshield Products 340210 Cool Foil Tape 2" X 10' $15.70

The heat barrier is adhesive backed and I didn't want to stick it to anything so I stuck extra heavy duty aluminum foil to it. I just took my time to cut, fit and seal. Once it was complete I sealed the edges to the frame with Gorilla tape and filled the gaps around the air-box with foam pipe insulation. I was a little reluctant to insulate over the air-box. Although I doubt it would make a difference i didn't want to do anything that might heat the intake air any more than necessary.

Should you go this route, watch your cuts or you won't have enough heat barrier material. Once completed I had two little pieces remaining, totaling about 2 square inches. I probably have 6" of the tape left.

I took the bike out and ran over 100 hard miles. Completely eliminated the heat rolling up under the tank and almost eliminated the heat hitting my knees. I believe that is coming out between the fairing and the frame. The tank stayed much cooler to the touch. No increased heat indicated on the dash. Stayed at two bars except when I stopped to take a picture, it went to three, dropping back to two as soon as I started moving.

The complete shield is easily removable as it is attached with Gorilla tape.
Attachments
Tank1.jpg
Look closely and you'll see that the fuel connections are sealed. There is a sealed depression for the fuel line to rest in without being kinked. What you can't see is the insulation goes all the way to the frame under the two black rubber panels.
Tank1.jpg (122.59 KiB) Viewed 746 times
CMAUSA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby robd0gg » Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:45 pm

looks like a huge baked potato :D
ride hard, live righteously
robd0gg
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Mechanical & Technical